CackleTV images

Recent Posts

Well Looked after in Westport

Westport - walking distance from chippy!

Playful dolphins on arrival at Seal Island

Hello from Paul Caffyn's house. I'm sitting at...

Arrived in Greymouth!

Windy day means day off

44km against the wind

3 metre surf causes pause for thought

Paul saves day by returning phone!

Upside Down ( 3 times lucky!)

On The Web

Body Boat Blade

Keirron's Blog

Derrick's Blog

December 2004

May 2005

June 2005

July 2005

August 2005

September 2005

October 2005

November 2005

December 2005

February 2006

March 2006

April 2006

May 2006

June 2006

July 2006

August 2006

September 2006

October 2006

November 2006

December 2006

January 2007

February 2007

March 2007

April 2007

May 2007

June 2007

July 2007

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007

December 2007

January 2008

February 2008

March 2008

April 2008

May 2008

June 2008

July 2008

August 2008

September 2008

October 2008

November 2008

December 2008

January 2009

February 2009

March 2009

April 2009

May 2009

June 2009

July 2009

August 2009

September 2009

October 2009

November 2009

December 2009

January 2010

February 2010

 Justine's Journal

CackleTV Productions


Still in Westport
Monday, March 17, 2008


We've spent another day at Harriet and Phil's house in Westport as the swell this morning looked pretty intimidating and the forecast said it was 4 metres again. Last night we made the mistake of looking at the place we planned to land next on Google Earth and counted 4 or 5 few lines of surf rolling into the beach with a couple of lines at the end of the river mouth. It suddenly didn't feel quite so 'bombproof' as a sheltered landing and we decided to wait until tomorrow to paddle there when the swell is meant to be lower ( just 7 or 8 feet!). Maybe the google earth photo was taken during a northerly swell and it would have been fine,,, but then again maybe not. Either way, we are going to paddle tomorrow and take on whatever surf landing we find ( or don't find). Today Brian took us for a drive to Charleston where we went for a walk along the cliffs. The surf looked quite manageable at times, but there were some massive sets coming through and smashing up the cliff faces. At least the gaps mean that if there is surf on the landing tomorrow, we should be able to time it so we land in a lull. We also went for a bike ride around town today and chilled out a bit.

Swedish kayaker Babs is about 150km ahead of us also stuck by big surf, check out her website here She'll hopefully be able to get away tomorrow aswell, although it would be fun if we manage to catch up with her before she finishes her circumnavigation in Picton in the next week or 2.

Thanks again to Harriet & Phil, Brian and the other nice people we've met in Westport.


Post a Comment

<< Home

 Back To Index